Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

May is CRAZY!  School ends here in less than 2 weeks and it seems like we are involved in non-stop programs and activities. My baby is graduating from Pre-School (which is sad…but not too sad.  She missed the school deadline so she will be back in Pre-School next year.  Which means I get one more year before I have to send her off to school with the big kids…sniff!)

For her graduation I signed up to bring some treats. I dug through my old recipes and decided to whip up some Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats also known as Scotcheroos.  These are so yummy.  They also have Butterscotch and Chocolate in them!

It is a good thing I gave most of them away.  These things are not good for you at all…but then again…they are TREATS!

Want the recipe?  I thought you might.

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

1/2 cup sugar

1 cup Karo Syrup

1 cup Peanut Butter (smooth)

3/4 bag of Butterscotch Chips

6 cups of Rice Krispies Cereal

1/2 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

1.  Melt the sugar, Karo Syrup, Peanut Butter and Butterscotch Chips in a large sauce pan on Medium heat on the stove top.

2.  When the mixture is smooth and creamy, remove from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies.  Stir so that they are all evenly covered.

3.  Spread the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.

4.  Immediately pour the Chocolate Chips and spread out evenly on the top of the Rice Krispie mixture.  Let the chocolate chips melt due to the heat from the mixture.  Take a rubber spatula and spread the melted chocolate over the entire top.

5.  Pop into the fridge to let the chocolate harden and set up before serving.

Click on the link to print/download the recipe…

Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats

1. Diane Martin says

As a retired Home Economist know this is one of my students all time favorite recipes for the last 25+ years. We used Special K cereal to up the nutritional value. They are not a bad breakfast alternative when served with a glass of milk for those adverse to eating breakfast.

OMG! Those look to die for! Must make some this weekend…and then give most of them away because I would surely eat them all! Definitely not on my ‘diet’ prior to going on vacation to the Dominican Republic in less than a month. :)

3. Tesei says

I have never been a big fan of Rice Krispies treats but yours look so good, I have to try them! Thank you for sharing :-)

These look yummy! And now that Rice Krispies have a Gluten Free option I could make them AND eat them! Thanks so much for sharing this!!! Now I’m off to save it on Pinterest!

5. Michelle says

I made these for Superbowl and my chocolate did not melt down on the top of the rice krispies. The mixture cooled way too fast with my stirring and I had to melt my chocolate in a double boiler. It was kind of a pain in the butt. They were good, but they took a bit more work than I wanted.

6. Pauline Taylor says

Which type of Karo syrup are you using? Probably the clear, corn syrup type. Could you use one of the brown, table syrup ones?

7. Ella says

I picked this recipe to try because it seemed pretty simple. Just made these today. They’re cooling off so I haven’t tried them yet. ***One thing to note is that the 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips for the topping will not suffice. Upon following instructions, I quickly placed the 1/2 c of chips on top and they barely melted because the base was already cooling. I picked all the chips off and placed them AND the rest of the bag of chips in a double boiler, melting them that way. In addition, I mixed in another 2 tbs of peanut butter, and pinch of kosher salt. Use the entire bag of chocolate because you’ll need it if you’re following this recipe.

• Jeff says

I am 56 years old and my mother showed me how to prepare these when I was a child. I’ve made them all my life. Melt sugar (I use a cup) and Karo light together on the stove then blend in peanut butter. Take off heat and stir in 8 cups of Rice Krispies. You will have to use a large bowl for this. Lightly mash this mixture into a lightly buttered glass 9X13 dish. I use the back of a wet large spoon for this step. If you keep it wet with water it won’t stick to the Rice Krispie mixture. Melt together 6 oz. of butterscotch and 6 oz. of bittersweet chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave and stir until smooth. Pour over Rice Krispie mixture and place in fridge to set chocolate. Cut into 2 inch squares. They are delicious. Just don’t eat them all by yourself. Wrap some up for your neighbor. Enjoy!