This Brownie Trifle is a delicious decadent dessert recipe. Layers of chocolate brownies, chocolate pudding and raspberries make this brownie trifle recipe so special.
WHAT IS TRIFLE?
Have you ever eaten a trifle? My husband lived in England for a couple of years and had a few different types of trifle while he was there. Some of the trifles he ate were savory and some were fairly sweet with a sponge like cake. I had never heard of trifle until in my 20’s.
What exactly is a trifle? Well most commonly, a trifle is a dessert typically consisting of plain or sponge cake often soaked with wine or spirits (such as brandy or rum) and topped with layers of preserves, custard, and cream.
CHOCOLATE BROWNIE TRIFLE
Since we aren’t drinkers in our home…and we love chocolate over sponge cake, we prefer our trifle in this form…Chocolate Brownie Trifle! I mean…why not? Creamy pudding smothering a delicious brownie? What is not to love about that?
HOW TO MAKE BROWNIE TRIFLE
Trifles are pretty easy to make and really you can add anything in there that sounds delicious to you! Just layer it up with yummy ingredients and you have yourself a delicious trifle dessert! And since we love brownies, these definitely always make it into our trifle.
- Layer in the bottom of a 3 quart glass bowl your brownies (or sponge cake). Make sure the layer is packed in pretty well so that not all the cream falls into the bottom.
- Cover with your cream, pudding or whipping cream.
- Add another layer of brownies or cake.
- Add a layer of cream, pudding or whipping cream on top.
- Sprinkle with a few brownies and fresh raspberries.
BROWNIE TRIFLE ADD INS
Sometimes we like to change up our brownie trifle by adding some fun and different add ins. Here are some of the changes we have made in this classic recipe:
- crushed Oreos
- heath candy bar pieces
- chocolate pudding
- whipping cream
- crushed peppermint candies
- fresh strawberries
- vanilla pudding
- vanilla cake
- angel food cake
- drizzle of caramel topping
BROWNIE TRIFLE RECIPE VIDEO
Watch our brownie trifle recipe video to see just how easy this dessert recipe is to make.
Check out the following supplies needed to make your trifle dessert.
- glass trifle bowl (3.25 quart)
- hand mixer
- glass mixing bowls
- 9 x 13 brownie pan
- kitchen hand towel
- 2 cup glass measuring cup
BROWNIE TRIFLE RECIPE
Alright…here is the classic Brownie Trifle recipe that can be used as is…or you can add to it as you like! Feel free to change it up and experiment to get it to the perfect combination of ingredients that you are going to love!
- 1 package brownie mix 9×13 pan size
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk cold
- 1 3.4 ounces package instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
- 1 3.3 ounces package instant white chocolate pudding mix
- 1 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- Strawberries or raspberries for garnish optional
Prepare and bake brownies according to package directions for cake-like brownies, using a greased 9×13 baking pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mixes on low speed for 2 minutes.
Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
Fold in whipped topping.
Cut the brownies into 1 inch bite sized pieces.
Place half in a 3 quart glass trifle bowl or serving dish.
Cover with half of the pudding. Repeat layers.
This brownie trifle is best eaten immediately after creating. But it can be stored in the refrigerator if you need to make it in advance. Store any leftovers in an air tight container and put back in the fridge.
Love desserts? Check out our other dessert recipes!
- Peanut Butter No Bake Chocolate Dessert
- Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- New York Cheesecake
- 3 ingredient Ice Cream Pie
- Magic Cookie Bars
- French Chocolate Silk Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
Thanks for stopping by!
Check out our recipe binder! A great way to organize all your recipes in one easy place!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.