It’s the perfect time for a delicious soup recipe and one of our favorites is this Broccoli Cheddar Soup! So easy that you can whip up this Cheesy Broccoli soup in a total time of about 30 minutes!
BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP
I have another delicious Soup Recipe to share with you today! The winter weather is just starting here and it makes me want to make yummy hot meals and Broccoli Cheddar Soup is always such a simple and easy dish to serve up. This soup recipe is a crowd pleaser and has been a meal I have made to share with friends when they had babies or were sick, etc. With a busy family, with very different palates…it can be hard to find a meal everyone likes…this soup meets all the requirements.
WHAT VEGGIES CAN I ADD TO CHEDDAR SOUP
This soup is nice because it is so simple to cater it to your families different tastes. Throw in your favorite veggies along with the main veggies and it can take on different flavors. Here are some common ones you can use, but feel free to experiment with your favorite vegetables.
- broccoli florets
- diced potatoes
- butternut squash
ADDITIONAL SOUP TOPPINGS
Add some fun toppings to the soup to make it truly unique to your food preferences. We love to top our soup before serving with some of the following:
- sliced almond
- grated cheddar cheese
- parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- a sprinkle of dijon mustard
- diced ham
- crumbled bacon bits
HOMEMADE SOUP COOKING SUPPLIES
- Slow Cooker
- Instant Pot
- Sauce Pan
- Stainless Steel Stockpot
- Soup Ladle
- Stainless steel skillet
- Pasta Strainer
- Clip-On Pot Strainer
- Wooden Utensils
- immersion blender
- soup bowls
- cheese grater
- veggie chopper
- garlic press
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY BROCCOLI SOUP GLUTEN FREE
I often get asked how to make a gluten free broccoli cheddar soup since I have a daughter with celiac disease. This soup recipe converts to gluten-free very easily. Simply swap out the flour when making your roux and use a gluten free corn starch instead. I just add about a couple Tablespoons to the butter and stir and mix it like you would a flour-based roux. Cook until it thickens and then add the cheese and milk as the original recipe calls for.
HOW TO MAKE CHEDDAR BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP DAIRY FREE
To make this soup dairy free, you will need to use nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a inactivated form of yeast has a rich nutty and buttery flavor. You can find it in the baking aisle of most stores. The potatoes you add will add some thickening to the soup as it cooks and will give you a nice creamy texture. You can add a little chicken broth (or vegetable broth) to give some additional flavor. Then replace the milk with coconut milk or almond milk.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING CHEESY BROCCOLI SOUP
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat on your stove-top.
- Add vegetables and cook until tender. You can puree them if you prefer using an immersion blender).
- Add water and chicken bouillion (chicken stock or vegetable stock) and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining butter in a 2 quart pan.
- Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Turn heat to lowest setting.
- With a wire whisk gradually stir in milk (or heavy cream) until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often until thickened. Do not boil.
- Stir in cheese until fully blended.
- Stir cheese mixture into vegetables and heat.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI CHEDDAR SOUP VIDEO TUTORIAL
Watch how easy it is to whip up a pot of this delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe! Anyone can make it and it turns out delicious every time! It really is the perfect comfort food!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup of each and any chopped vegetables of your choice
- potatoes celery, green peppers, carrots, broccoli, etc.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon granulated chicken bouillon or 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese grated
Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
Add vegetables and cook until tender.
Add water and bouillion; bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
Heat remaining butter in a 2 quart pan.
Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Turn heat to lowest setting.
With a wire wisk gradually stir in milk until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until thickened. Do not boil.
Stir in cheese until fully blended.
Stir cheese mixture into vegetables and heat.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Thanks for stopping by! xoxo
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.