Sharing how to curl your hair with a traditional curling iron. This curling hair technique will give you soft, beach waves for several days. I also share my favorite hair products to keep your hair soft and shiny!
TIPS FOR CURLING YOUR HAIR
Want to be able to curl your hair one day and have it last for several days? I am sharing our tips for curling long hair so you only have to curl it every few days!
- Start in the Shower– The perfect curl starts from the very beginning…in the shower. Be sure to pick a great shampoo and conditioner. This will improve the overall health of your hair. Although it is best to curl second or third-day hair…you can curl your hair the same day you shower.
- Don’t wash your hair right before curling it– Some people can wash and curl right away. If you hair has trouble holding curl, try washing it the night before so it can curl easier in the morning. Skip the conditioner when washing your hair, as this can sometimes make the hair too soft and slippery, leading to curls falling out faster. Your hair needs to have a little bit of grit to hold the curls longer. You can add a little hairspray to help the hold if needed before curling. I am sharing my favorite shampoo and conditioner below. If you’re in between washes and are worried about your hair looking oily, try using some dry shampoo at the roots, to help soak up any extra oil.
- Prep your hair with the right hair products– Use some root lifter product, a product for protecting your hair from the heat tools you are using, and if needed add a little texture to your hair with some mousse or a texture spray to aid in holding curl.
- Heat Protectant– This is the most important styling product you can use on your hair before heat styling, which is the number one way that most women damage their hair.
- Hairspray– Apply styling products to your hair, which will help hold the curls in place longer. Spray a bit of hairspray before, during and after curling. This will give your hair a rougher texture which will help prolong the lifespan of your curls. Be sure to do a light coat and hold the can further away from your hair to avoid heavy coating. Light and soft is the goal!
- Invest in good hot hair tools- The right tools will be key to getting your hair to curl how you want it too. They don’t have to be super expensive to get good results, but you will want to invest in tools that will last a long time and give you the best results possible. High-end curling irons and curling wands are usually coated with tourmaline or ceramic, which are materials proven to cause less damage to your hair than straight metal. Yes, they may be more expensive, however, they are less damaging on your hair, they heat up better so you actually expose your hair to less damaging heat.
- Use the right barrel size– Barrel size is really important because the tightness of your curls depends on the size of the barrel! The common misconception is that a bigger barrel curling wand or curling iron is that you will get those big, soft, beach-y waves…but I have found that using a smaller barrel will do the trick. Depending on your hair type, try using a smaller barrel size that you normally would like 1 inch or 1.5 inch and see what difference it can make! The curls will be a little tighter the first day, but will be the perfect curl the next couple of days!
- Cool Your Curls Down– Let your curls sit after curling them. If you let them cool down the curl will hold longer.
- Don’t comb through your hair– Use your fingers to gently fluff hair and pick through the curls to smooth them out. If you brush through them, they will quickly lose their hold and will fall out sooner.
- Finish with Texturizing spray or a holding cream– This will hold your style and keep it lasting all day long! You can still use hairspray before or throughout the curling process, but finishing with a texturizing spray will help hold the curls in place without dragging them down too much.
- What if my hair still won’t curl?– Overly damaged hair (including split ends) doesn’t curl and doesn’t hold style well. It’s time to give your hair some love and get a trim! Regular trims actually lead to faster hair growth, so don’t be afraid to get a little trim if you are trying to grow your hair out A deep conditioning mask is also a great way to improve the overall health of you hair!
HOW TO CURL YOUR HAIR
I will be sharing my favorite hair products to help make your curls as long lasting as possible! I usually curl my hair with a traditional 1 inch barrel curling iron but will also curl it occasionally with a curling wand. Today I am sharing how I curl my hair with a regular curling iron.
HOW TO CURL HAIR VIDEO
FAVORITE HAIR PRODUCTS
Here are my favorite hair products. I use most of them every time I curl my hair. Plus a few that I use every so often depending on what I am doing with my hair, or my girls hair!
- Conair curling iron: I use this curling iron the most when curling my hair. I can get my curls last for three to four days with only needing a few touch-up curls where needed. The size I use is the 1 inch barrel!
- Water spray bottle: This water bottle is so easy to use and I love it! Something as ordinary as a water bottle made the list because I love it that much. It has a continuous spray that makes it easy to use.
- Wet paddle brush: With 4 girls in the house with really long hair, this brush is a life-saver. No more tears when brushing out their wet hair. It glides easily through the hair without breaking it.
- Bathpack silver brush: This is also another favorite brush that brushes through hair easily. We love both and the price is great!
- Pantene hairspray: I love the way this hairspray smells. It is not sticky and holds your hair well without making it stiff. It is still soft and supple to the touch.
- Loreal High Lift Spray: I use this hair lift spray on wet hair and spray it at the top of my head under the roots in a few places around my face. This gives my hair lift so that it doesn’t hang down as heavy.
- Lange Marula oil hydrating mist: I LOVE this oil mist. I use it when my hair is finished and lightly mist it to give my hair a nice smooth shiny finish! A little goes a long way!
- Styling clips: I use these all the time to separate my hair into sections to blow dry it. Holds a lot of thick heavy hair in each.
- Pureology shampoo: This shampoo and conditioner leaves your hair smelling amazing. My hair is soft and silky with no heavy residue left behind. A little goes a long way with this as well!
- Lange Grand Debut root booster: I love this in the travel size and use it when I travel as a root lifter on wet hair.
- Loreal hair color cover up gray spray: If you are fighting with stubborn gray hair and need a little help to get you through to your next color treatment, this stuff is amazing. Just spray on your visible gray hairs and the gray magically disappears. It does need a minute or two to dry so be sure to avoid touching the area until it is dry or it can stain your fingers. It will wash off with soap easily. Rinses out after a shower.
- Bathpack round brush: This round brush is great for blowing out your hair so that it is soft and smooth. Great for bangs and creating a nice smooth rounded style as well.
- Lange salt plus sea texturizing spray: My girls love this sea salt texture spray to enhance their natural curl for soft and loose beachy waves.
- Lange 32 mm curling wand: This is our favorite curling wand. Curls last for a couple of days and produce nice soft beachy waves. We like to curl away from our faces with this wand.
- Lange WHIP Volumizing Mousse: Our favorite volumizing mousse for fine and thin hair. Doesn’t leave your hands or hair feeling heavy or sticky. Smells amazing!
- Catwalk curly hair styling cream: Our favorite styling cream for curly hair. Tames the frizzy hair for a nice smooth curl and overall finish.
- Lange Flat Iron: We love this flat iron! It is so easy to use and leaves your nice and straight without being frizzy.
- Lange Blush Pink Paddle Brush: (not pictured but in video) This brush leaves my hair feeling smooth and soft. Great for brushing through wet hair and dry hair!
- Lange products listed above.
I do have thyroid issues which I have shared more about here. When I was losing huge amounts of hair…literally handfuls a day, I used Biotin and think it has made a huge difference in helping my hair to grow back and become thick and fuller…almost to where I was before I developed my thyroid condition. This is my favorite one here.
I am happy to answer any questions you might have! I will also add to the list as needed! Thanks for stopping by!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.