Heart Wreath

I saw this wreath over at Design Sponge and loved everything about it. But I took the idea and decided to make this felt heart wreath for my self.  It is the perfect Valentine’s Day Craft and although a bit time consuming…it really easy to make.

Valentine's-Decor

This wreath is so easy to make but can be a bit time consuming. My hubby was recently out-of-town on business. So, over a couple of evenings I was able to watch some chick flicks and put together this wreath.

valentine's-day

I bought my heart shaped foam wreath at JoAnn’s (Michaels might have them too). It was $4 and I used my 40% off coupon. I also purchased 3/4 yard (off the bolt) of a nice “velvety” colored red felt. I also picked up a package of straight pins.

I used a cup from my cupboard to make a 3 inch circle template. Then I cut SEVERAL 3 inch circles out of the felt. No I did not count them. Then I took a circle and folded it in half to make a half circle and folded it in half again like my little assistant is demonstrating.

Then take a straight pin and pin it through the bottom of the point. Then stick the pin with the felt into the styrofoam. Continue doing this placing each folded circle close together filling in the spaces. Continue the process for the whole wreath.

Valentine's-day-craft

You will not need to do this on the back of the wreath. Then I took a piece of ribbon (about 8 inches) and folded it into a loop and pinned it several times into the back of the wreath to hang it from. I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!! This is such a fun and Valentine Heart that will made a great addition to your Valentine Decor.  In fact, I liked it so much I came up with some other projects like it. To see them you can go here:

Valentine’s Day Topiary

For other Idea Room Valentine’s Day Projects you might want to check out these!

vallentines day crate-09  Tissue-Rosette-Balls

Felt Heart Wreath | Kissing Ball Wire Crate | TIssue Paper Kissing Balls

Sealed-with-a-Kiss-24_thumb_thumb7_thumb.png    love potion 9wm cover

Sealed with a Kiss | Candy Cane Heart Suckers | Love Potion no. 9

valentines-gift-idea  chocolate cookies  valentines-gift-idea

Just a Little Crush | Heart Bottles and Cookies | Tic Tac Valentines

Valentines-Day  lip suckers-1  chalkbaord mug 6coverwm

I Chews You Valentine | Three Valentine Printables | Chalk Board Mug

Valentines-Day-Craft_thumb.jpg  Valentines-Day-Decor_thumb.jpg  Valentines-Day-Game_thumb.jpg

Framed Heart Decor | Valentine’s Be Mine Décor | Valentine’s Day Game

valentines-day-card-ideas-1_thumb.jpg   valentines-day-crafts valentines-day-bingo-cards_thumb.jpg

Valentine’s Day Card Ideas | Valentine’s Candy Rings | Valentine’s Day Bingo

sugar-cookie-recipe_thumb.jpg Photobucket Homemade-sucker-recipe_thumb.jpg

Sugar Cookie Recipe | Handprint Valentine’s | Homemade Sucker Recipe

Valentine cookie pops 4wmvalentines-day-candy-bark_thumb.jpg heart-shaped-pancakes.jpg

Valentine’s Day Cookie Pops | Valentine’s Candy Bark | Heart Shape Pancakes

Comments

1. Anna says

that is so cute! I love valentines day! Your little model does a good job of selling it :)

2. Michelle@Sweet Something says

That turned out awesome! Love the picture of your assistant peeking through! Too cute! Great job!

3. Trimble says

Love it! BTW- have you ever tried making a parachute, you know, the kind kids play with?

4. Shanade says

That's adorable! I suppose I should start working on my own now so that I'll have it done before Valentine's Day. :)

5. Lynette says

I used that same technique on a pillow. I LOVE how your heart wreath turned out…I might have to try that!!

6. Merrie says

I have been looking for one of these, or at least the tutorial on how to make one. Thank you, thank you for posting this! I even hunted high and low at Target for one the other day. All they had was one covered in fake roses. Not the same…now this looks like a project I can do.

7. Sara and Wade says

Yep! I'm making this! My round ball ornament wreath is still on my door, but it needs to be replaced with a more festive, Valentines one for sure:) Thanks for another great idea!!!!

8. Kimmy C says

I;ve been trying to find something for my front door for Valentine's day. Red won't match the color of my door – but I could invision this in white!

Thanks for sharing.

9. TidyMom says

I LOVE it!! you always do such fun projects and I love when your kiddo's show the item!♥

~TidyMom

10. Lynette says

Ahh! SOOO pretty! I just may need to make one of those since my valentines decorations are VERY slim at the moment! And then I could make different shapes and colors! Ahh!

11. Al, Wendy, Max, and Lil says

That is a great idea and I feel inspired for soooo many applications! Thank you. (Although, the thought of cutting out those circles makes my fingers hurt!)

12. Cherie says

So pretty and easy. My girls would love to be able to help with a crafty project like this! Thanks!

13. Sharon Wales says

I totally love this idea. I can't wait to go to the craft store and get my supplies. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Jenny says

I love it! I have that same heart shaped foam wreath, but I just wrapped it with fabric quickly.

15. Infarrantly Creative says

I saw that tutorial and filed it away. You took it a a step further with the heart. How do you always do that? I swear I make everything off your blog. Your key chains, the hand mitts, this is next :-)

16. Courtney says

So cute I couldn't wait. It's 2:30am and I just finished mine. I love it!! Thanks so much for the fabulous tutorial. I can't wait to hang it.

17. [email protected] says

I love it! So pretty and plush! Thanks so much for yet another fabulous idea. I'll be linking.

18. the 30 girl says

just wanted to say that you inspired me to make one of these…i already went Joann's get the supplies. thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!

19. **Amy** says

Thanks guys!

I did not use all of the 3/4 yard. It was more like 1/2 yard that I used. But with the left-over 1/4 yard, I was able to make something that I will post later.

20. Valerie says

This is FABULOUS, Amy! I have filed this in my valentines day post at thecraftersfilebox.com.

Thanks for sharing!

21. michelle@somedaycrafts says

I linked to this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com because it is so gorgeous!

22. Kristie VanWagoner says

I just love this idea!! You are so creative and I love your blog :) thanks for all of the fun ideas

23. Brianne says

I found you from TCB. I LOVE the valentine wreath. I'm normally not a big Valentine's Day decorator, but I might have to make your wreath. Thanks!

24. TJ and Whitnee says

I'm so happy to have found your blog! I love this heart wreath, and think it would be the perfect addition to my front door! I'd love to share a link to this post on sewwhattoday.blogspot.com on January 15!

25. ashley says

I love it! I was kinda freaked out to take this on. Thought it would take the better part of a week. It was done in a few hours. My husband thinks it looks professional. I used at least 3/4 a yard. Thanks for all your great ideas. I feel like a stalker cause I am making your lollipop cookies for my kids play date today.

26. Joan says

I saw your beautiful wreath featured on One Pretty Thing's blog – just had to come and see how it was made! Looks nice and easy – just the kind of projects I like! Your 'assistant' is as cute as can be! Thank you for sharing this tutorial. Have a great day.

27. CS says

I love this so much I'm going to not grade papers and make the beautiful heart wreath instead! :) I'm linking this to my blog because it's such a cute idea. Love it!

28. Audrey says

Totally random and off topic – but I just noticed your daugher's reindeer and polka dot pjs in one of the pictures – my 3 year old has the same ones from Target! She loves them! Anyway, going to attempt the heart wreath and a couple of topiaries tonight! Thanks for all your inspiration.

29. mom2domgigi says

Love it!!!! I saw a somewhat similar one on another blog, can't remember which… But yours looks so much more luxurious. Definitely going to be making this in the next week or so.

30. our delightful life...the story of us says

LOVE this. I made it the other day and it looks beautiful. I posted the link on my blog. Thanks again for the idea. Mine took 1 yard of felt.

31. Heidi@TheCraftMonkey says

I just made a St. Patty's day wreath using inspiration from your gorgeous hearth wreath. I hope you don't mind I linked to your post.

32. Melissa says

I just stubbled upon your blog today. I love the heart wreath! I think I am going to do one, or something like it! Thank you so much!

33. theteo5 says

Adorable! I headed to the store and bought everything to make it today. I love felt so I know I can't go wrong! Thanks for the tutorial!

34. Jamielouwho says

Oh how PRECIOUS!!! I'm making one asap! Thanks for sharing…when I make it I'll post back to you. :)

35. Valerie C. says

So fun and cute! Everyone in Logan (Joanns, Hobby Lobby and Michaels!) is out of foam hearts…they must be making your project!

36. Anonymous says

I was so inspired by yours that I made my own. I made mine in white. Used a soup can to make the circles (drew them with a crayola marker). But no mattter how carefully I drew there was some red residue left on the circles. So I oxycleaned the felt heart….. now (though it's still wet), it's beautiful.

37. laura says

You did a GREAT job! My cousin followed your tutorial and hers looks fantastic too! Awesome job!

38. Diana says

I'm sad. I'm sad because I live in Canada and we don't have Joann's and I can't find a styrofoam heart wreath ANYWHERE. I've tried for two weeks and I'm about to give up. But I want you to know, I love the wreath I created in my mind…

39. Kara@ Creations by Kara says

Thanks so much for doing this tutorial. I just made a similar wreath and I love it!! Everyone who sees it has commented on it. :)

40. TheOnesInColorado says

Love this idea – thank you for sharing the great tutorial! I made mine last night and have pics up on my blog!
    Erika

41. hardwood furniture says

This is a nice idea! Thanks for sharing this to us. I would love to make some and put it in every door in our house.

42. smoothiejuice's hectichousehold says

oh eeps…im off to joanns. you know valentines day is my fave holiday! ooooh what fun this will be…i may make them in a few different colors as well.

43. rockbottomtshirts says

Hi,, guess this is the mother of late comments. But we just wanted to say that we love your wreath.

On the other hand, with Valentine's Day practically just around the corner maybe the timing is just right! :)

No, seriously this is quite awesome and thank you for posting.

44. Mandy Coffey says

The fact that i had to scroll through 79 other comments to leave mine just echos me (or… i echo them…) how awesome this is! Thanks for sharing! I'll be featuring this on my blog smallfineprint.blogspot.com

45. Jaime says

Love, Love, Love it and will be making my own soon! I will be sharing this on my blog
    farfromsupermom.blogspot.com

46. Nanny says

Just amde this. I hate to cut approximately 175 3" circles from the red felt for ample "volume" on my wreath. love how it turned out. I also first wrapped the styrofoam heart wreath in red grosgrain ribbon to ensure nothing was visible (and it looks nice from the inside of the window as well).

I used this idea on pillows as well. I made two envelope pillowcases for our common area pillows. I then cut about 125 1.5-2" circles and sewed them on the pillowcase by hand in the same style. I love the texture this creates on a list sand colored pillowcase (matches the wall). Cant wait to finish the other one in time for V Day!

47. Amy says

I saw this on my friend's Kathie's blog and she said where to come for the great idea.. That is am amazing Wreath and idea..

48. freaked out 'n small says

I saw this on the eighteen25 blog and I had to stop by to see. They are fantastic! I'm going to try one out. :)

49. Our Seven Dwarfs says

I made this and featured it on our blog! Thank you for the wonderful idea. I LOVE it!

50. Maurilia says

Love it, thanks for sharing! I'm working on one right now. Can't wait to complete mine :)

51. gnomeswife77 says

I'm so excited. I wanted to make this wreath, than my friend posted a link to your blog. We are now doing it together with a bunch of ladies from church. What a perfect thing to do while you yak with the ladies. Thanks for ALL your great ideas!

52. gnomeswife77 says

53. The Clanton Gang says

I made mine a couple of weeks ago when we were snowed it. It is SO cute! Thanks for the great idea!

54. Tonya says

Love this idea! I couldn't find heart wreaths so I had to improvise. I liked it so much I made two. Your assistant is adorable! Love your blog, great ideas and inspiration.

55. Holland says

I am making this for my mom for valentines day…using a rotary cutter and the circles don't take quite as long to cut out. Love, love, love this! Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!

56. Lisa says

Love it! Too bad all the Joann's are sold out of heart shaped foam wreaths. A worker there told me that they get about 12 calls/customers a day looking for the wreaths. I told her we all have probably seen your blog and are making them. Thanks for the great tutorial – I can't wait to make mine!

57. Amy {The Idea Room} says

@Lisa–Too funny! I was actually in JoAnn's yesterday getting some more felt for another round wreath I made with this same concept. the employee asked me if I was making a wreath from that blog! I just laughed and said "yes!" Ummm…a bit crazy! But we are in Utah…the craft capitol of the world. :)

58. Annie xx TheFeltFairy says

Wow! This is incredible – I will try to make one as you have made it look so easy!

59. Katie says

Just made a variation of this today. Will take a picture and link back to your blog! I love how it turned out! Thanks for the easy, great idea!!

60. Tonya says

I have been searching high and low for a Valentine's wreath with no luck. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm so glad I found it in time to make one before Valentine's Day!

61. Angela's Heartwork says

I just finished mine last night… but silly me did the entire wreath. LOL (Didn't notice the part that said you don't have to do this on the back of the wreath! oops!) Anyways, I love how it turned out and you can see it on my blog – http://angelasheartwork.blogspot.com
    ~Angela

62. Rachel Yedlowski says

I am absolutely in LOVE with this wreath, it’s gorgeous!! I’m going to make two for my wedding. What size wreath did you use? The one I found at JoAnn’s seems too small.

63. Lisa Halleran says

Awesome wreath…definitely going to make this. Love your site and work…so creative Question for you do you have directions to make paper rosettes?

Thanks, Lisa

64. Tupou says

Thank you for the easy to follow tutorial! I’m going to make it this week. My husband works late evenings to I usually craft at night to chick flicks too!

So glad you were able to make on. Heading on over to check it out now. Thanks so much for sharing it with me. I love to see your projects too.

65. Sharyn says

LOVE, LOVE this wreath! Sadly, THREE craft stores later and I cannot fine a heart shaped wreath!

Oh no! They were pretty scarce last year too. Maybe you can find some online. I think JoAnn’s may sell some! Hope that helps!

66. Sharyn says

I am uber excited as I am making this wreath right now! TIP – A can of Green Giant Corn is the perfect template for a 3″ circle. I was finally able to find a heart wreath after hitting 5 craft stores!

67. Karencht says

Amazing and awesome idea!! took you two evening and chick flicks..wow! looks absolutely beautiful! reminds me of my mom< She loved red and hearts!! may try this myself !!

68. Sunnie says

How did you put the pins through the point of the circle, through all four layers? I’m having a harzd time getting my pins to stay in. By the way I love this idea and I am making mine hot pink.

69. Sam says

Hi there,
    I had to post this heart on my FB and linked back to you to discourage someone from claiming it to be their sole idea! It worked thank you. Keep them coming

70. SaraColorado says

This was a lot of fun to make. I had to construct my own heart shaped foam wreath though, with two round ones and some red duct tape. It turned out beautifully. I’m not an original crafty person, but I’m pleased I can at least copy others’ ideas and have them still turn out lovely. Thanks for the beautiful idea!

71. Jannell says

you guys could also make a smaller version, or same size if you like, for a picture frame! it would make a perfect valentines day present for someone special!!!!

72. Tracy says

Just finished cutting out all the circles! Whew! Now to pick up that silly wreath from Jo-ann’s. I checked several craft stores when my Jo-ann’s was already sold out of them (still no luck with Michael’s or Hobby Lobby). But now my Jo-ann’s finally got a new shipment. Yay! Can’t wait to hang it on my front door! :)

This might be a really silly question… but what did you trace the felt circles with that is so perfectly not visible?

Thanks!

74. Sarah says

THANK YOU for sharing the tutorial! I made my own last night and love it! I couldn’t find as big of a strofoam heart as I would have liked but it still turned out! I love it! Thank you again!

75. Michelle says

I wonder if I could just sew it into the foam with thread instead of using all those straight pins. I think I’m going to try it and report back with how it goes. Thanks for posting! Very Creative!

76. Judy Drucker says

Thanks for the very creative wreath idea. I am NOT crafty at all but have already made three. And the recipients loved them!

Yay! I am so glad to hear that. Love when my readers have great success making something and love it even more when they share it with me!

77. Natalie says

Love this wreath! Question: What size wreath did you use? 12″? 15″? I am so excited to make this!

78. Sarah says

Is felt by the yard different than the squares I just picked up in the craft department at walmart?

Well, they are the same thing but just in different lengths. You can usually get more felt for your money when it is on the bolt (or sold by the yard) as opposed to buying the squares…but the squares can be convenient. But there is no reason you couldn’t use the felt squares. It will turn out exactly the same.

79. Kayla says

LOVE this. I’m going to the store now and Getting these things to make one. Thanks for sharing step by step and showing your great work.

• Laura says

PeggySue,

If you read in her post/directions, it says that you don’t do the backside of the wreath :)

80. Katrina says

Found this last night on Pinterest and wasting no time making it all today (with the help of a certain 7 year old!). I LOVE it and can’t wait for Valentine’s Day to display it. I didn’t mention, but I am not crafty AT ALL and I got this done in about 5 interrupted hours – one afternoon!! No one should be afraid to give it a try!!

81. Abby says

Hi Amy! I love this felt heart wreath. I’ve got the supplies and I’m dying to get started! I just had a few questions. Did you use regular straight pins? Did the felt circles stay folded when you pinned them in or did you have to glue the circles before pinning them? Thanks so much!

• Linda says

Where did you find your heart shape? I have search hi and low and can’t find one. Did you cut your own?

82. Kari says

I love this Valentines Day wreath! I am actually bringing this one to make at our neighborhood Craft/Girls Night.

Thanks for sharing!

83. Julie says

I made this and it looks great! I was hoping to hang it on my front door but am wondering if you knew of a way to keep it from fading in the sunlight? Thanks!!

I was suggested this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this
    post is written by him as no one else know such detailed
    about my problem. You are wonderful! Thanks!

85. Linda says

I love this wreath. I have searched high and low for the heart shaped form and can’t find any where. I don’t have a Holly Lobby near me. I searched Michael’s and JoAnn’s and A.C. Moore. Any suggestions?

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back
    to your blog? My website is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would definitely benefit from
    some of the information you present here. Please let me know if this okay with you.
    Thank you!

1. Need inspiration to make your favorite wreath? Look at these inspiring photos to make your own. says:

[...] I HEART [...]

2. [...] if there was a tutorial for the wreath that I showcased yesterday.  And?  There is.  Obviously, I learned how to make it somewhere.  I’m not that creative.  (I just follow instructions [...]

3. [...] In my search for a DIY Valentine wreath, I came across the perfect combo via The Idea Room. [...]

4. [...] wreath as soon as I saw it and KNEW I just had to share it with you guys! Head on over to the Idea Room to see the tutorial. Have fun [...]

5. [...] for a photo shoot is good for me! My daughter and I made the valentines wreath, using the idea here. They were time consuming, but so worth it!  Since we couldn’t find a styrofoam wreath form, [...]

6. […] Crepe Paper Topiary Tree from The Sweet Survival   Valentine’s Day Mantel from BHG Felt Valentine’s Day wreath from The Idea Room     Glittered Valentine’s Day Sign Heart Bunting Pillow from U–Create Crafts […]

7. […] This felt heart shaped wreath is ALL OVER Pinterest right now. I purchased a heart shaped foam wreath from Joann’s, along with a yard and a half of felt. They were advertising 50% a single cut of fabric, add that in with my 15% teacher discount; I paid less than $10 for the entire  craft. Tracing and cutting out the circles was a bit time consuming, but it turned out so cute! I added some pink and red heart shaped ribbon to the back and hung it from the top of the mirror. You can find the tutorial for the wreath HERE. […]

8. […] (source) Super cute, right?!?! Well, it was my mission to make it happen. So, I went to my new favorite store, JoAnn’s, and purchased all of my supplies. Supplies Needed: Styrofoam heart box of straight pins 1 1/2 yards of felt (I purchased 1/2 of pink, 1/2 of red, & 1/2 of white) scissors 3 inch circle template (I used the base of a small cup) pencil or pen Steps: 1. I used the base of a small cup that I had in my cabinet and made circles using a pen. 2. Then, I cut them out with scissors. I didn’t count how many I cut out, but I thought I had enough the first time and had to cut more. 3. I marked where I wanted each color to start, but I decided to deviate from my original plan. So, more outlines were needed. 4. Then, I took one of the circles, folded it in half once, and then folded it in half again. Then, I grabbed a straight pin and pushed it through the bottom of the circle and into the Styrofoam heart. I repeated this process until the whole heart was completely covered. Make sure to layer them, so there isn’t any white Styrofoam showing through. And, here is the final result! Not too shabby for my first Styrofoam project.  Now, I just have to find a place to hang it. I will show you where I decided to hang it when I post about my Valentine’s decorations. : ) Happy Decorating,  […]