Looking for the BEST Sugar Cookie Bars recipe? Look no further…these sugar cookie bars are soft and chewy and covered with a delicious buttercream sugar cookie frosting. Easy without the hassle of traditional sugar cookies!
Every Valentine’s Day we have had the tradition of making our very favorite Soft Sour Cream Sugar Cookies. These cookies are the best for cutting out into fun shapes and decorating with frosting. When the kids were younger we loved spending the afternoon baking them and decorating them together. When we have the time, they are still our favorite sugar cookie recipe to use.
However, as the kids have gotten older, our schedules and time have become harder to come by. So we have been making these Sugar Cookie Bars a LOT more often! I love them for several reasons. Not only do they taste amazing, they are fast and easy! All the great taste and fun of a cut out cookie, but nowhere near the time and work to make them!
I also love that this batch of cookies can serve a large number of people. So when we had a recent family get together I brought this pan of cookies and there was enough for everyone with a few leftovers!Print
Best Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe with Buttercream Frosting
These are the BEST Sugar Cookie Bars recipe! They’re soft and tender and chewy and covered with a delicious buttercream sugar cookie frosting. Easy without the hassle of traditional sugar cookies!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: about 30 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- food coloring, (optional)
- Cream sugar and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Pour the flour into the bowl and place the baking soda, powder and salt on top of the flour.
- Mix in all of the dry ingredients just until the flour disappears. Do not over mix.
- Grease a (11×18) sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the dough into the pan with a long knife or a small rolling pin.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Cook just until golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla and salt. Add milk a little at a time, until the frosting is spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting on cookie bars when cool.
You may also be interested in the Peppermint Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Bars. They taste AMAZING!
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Thanks for stopping by! xoxo
Would you like more recipes, printables, DIY/Decor, and organization ideas?
Sign up for updates and get a free copy or our Sugar Scrubs eBook!