DIY Monogrammed Mugs

I hope you aren’t getting sick of monograms…I may have an addiction!

I know winter is almost over {hopefully!!} but this is something that can be done on any enamel surface.  I  happened to choose mugs since we are year round hot chocolate drinkers at our house and it is still snowing…gaahh!

monogram mug f

To make this you will need something a template for your monogram.  I used some vinyl that I cut with my Silhouette machine.  But you could use a stencil, or simply cut a letter out of cardstock paper the old fashioned way…using scissors !  You will need something to stencil on.  You could use a plate, baking dish, etc.  Just make sure that the item you are using is oven safe.  (You can also use this paint and let it air dry for 21 days before using it as per instructions on the back of the bottle of enamel paint I used).  Finally, you will need some enamel paint.

monogram mug 1

I used this Enamel paint in Black from FolkArt by Plaid.  I found it at my local Robert’s Craft but I believe it is in most Craft stores.  It was less than $2.00.

monogram mug 2

Simply lay your template onto your mug and make sure that it is on there very tightly especially in the corners so the paint does not leak underneath the edges.  You can use a stencil glue if you are using a stencil to help with the paint bleeding.  I have also used Rubber Cement which holds nicely and then peels off the easily when you are finished.

monogram mug 3

Then simply paint your enamel paint on your letter.  Let dry and then carefully remove the stencil.

monogram mug 4

If there are any areas where you don’t want paint you can gently scrape away the excess paint with your fingernail.  Then after it has air dried for one hour you will want to bake it in your oven.  Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and then bake your mugs for one hour.

monogram mug 5

That’s it!  Pretty darn easy!  I am slightly obsessed with Monogrammed items lately and made a matching Monogrammed towel.  You can find the tutorial for the Monogrammed Towel here if you are interested.  I also made some Monogrammed Hand  Sanitizers and Soaps here.

I love how simple these are.  I think they would make a great gift for teachers, friends, a new bride and groom or your favorite coffee or hot chocolate lover.  Maybe pair it with the Monogrammed Towel to make a fun and personal gift.

monogram mug 6f

Comments

AMAZING! So glad I just got a Silhouette :) Can’t wait to hunt down this enamel paint and try it! I wonder if it’s dishwasher safe after? either way it’s on my to do DIY list ;)

Thanks Courtney! The label on the paint did say that it was dishwasher safe but to put it on the top rack! Hopefully it is true! So happy you got a Silhouette. There is so much you can do with it!

love this! My sweet mom loooooooovves mugs…hmmm, I think I know a fun way I’ll be sending her some easter goodies in the mail ;) I’ve never heard of Enamels paint, thanks for the tip!

PS – love the new layout Amy :)

The rubber cement to hold stencils is a great idea! I had never thought about that.. haven’t used rubber cement since I was a kid. I might have to go get some and see what else it will work on…

Nice job Amy, love the monograms :) I want to do some glasses for my kids, been meaning to do it for a while! Hope you are doing well, haven’t talked to you in a while!

Monogrammed Glasses would be so fun. I thought about doing some for my kitchen as well! Fun idea to one one for each kid!

I just want to say that I can’t take my eyes off what’s INSIDE the mug. It looks DELICIOUS! I’ll have some of that please!

Mmmmm…hot chocolate with real whipping cream and sprinkled with just a tiny bit of cocoa powder! Delish is right!

What a great project?! Next time I’m at the craft store I am buying that paint for sure. Can’t wait to monogram some mugs. I think they would make fantastic gifts.

7. Heather says

I’m a year round hot chocolate drinker too!
    Love the mug, think I may have to store that idea and use it for christmas this year.

8. Amber says

Loved the mug! I didn’t know that type of paint existed! Thanks for yet another great project idea :)

Curious, you mentioned you could do it to other items besides mugs, like baking dishes, etc. I just bought a lovely white serving platter, and would love to have a monogram in the center of it. I’m wondering if it would not be a “safe” place to put it though, since food will sit on it, or whether it baking in the oven seals in the paint like it does at pottery painting shops?

The label says that it is food safe. But I always worry about that as well. I think a monogrammed platter would make an awesome wedding gift too. They might sell a food safe sealant that can go over it as well. I am actually going to look into that. They say that baking it sets it into the enamel.

9. Kimberly says

Love this idea, had no idea there was such a paint. Thanks!! And I had no idea they even made rubber cement anymore. lol For some reason I thought that was a thing of the past. I loved that stuff!

10. Heather says

Love this site and monograms! Especially H’s! I am drawn to them as they are not only the first letter of my first name, but thanks to my lovely husband…its also the first letter of my last name! We are H crazy around here! :)

11. Amber says

I have a question… with this Folk Art Enamal paint did you have to paint it, let it dry for 1 hr then bake it for an hour and then let it set for 21 days ?

or paint it, let it dry for 21 days then bake it for an hour ??? or am i just not reading it correctly?

I love monograms! We are in the process of monogramming some chairs for our porch. I think they are going to look darling!

13. Bethany says

SO cute, and I LOVE the dishes!! Can you tell us where you got them or what brand/pattern they are??

14. Cierra says

I have a quick question…Ive been trying to make these & have had to redo them 3 times so far because everytime I try to take off the vinyl, the paint comes off with it! It peels off & is sort of rubbery & weird. I even tried normal acrylic paint & it did the same exact thing. I let it dry for an hour, 10 hours & 14 hours. I even tried it on a different sort of cup because I thought that was maybe the problem, byt nothing seems to work. Any suggestions? I am using the exact same paint you did by the way…Thanks!!!

15. nicole says

Can I pin to pinterest? I’d love to share your post with my friends and save for Christmas gift idea! Thanks :)

Most houses in areas that get a lot of snow have inclined roofs so that the snow just slides
    off. Lube up the drive and chassis as well to make sure all systems are
    “go” for your first snowfall. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately
    unless otherwise instructed.

Beards grown on their own but don’t maintain themselves.
    Because these teeth are so fine they have hardly any contact with your skin the chances of cuts and
    nicks,ingrown hair and razor burn are reduced the
    the absolute minimum. If you’re using scissors, comb the desired area
    you want to trim, but move the comb slightly away from your face, and then cut the hairs that pop out through the teeth of the comb (you’ve probably seen your barber use this technique).

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you are using?
    I’m having some small security issues with my latest site and I would like to find something more safeguarded.
    Do you have any recommendations?

I was recommended this blog via my cousin. I am not sure whether this publish is written by him as no one else
    recognise such specified approximately my trouble.
    You’re incredible! Thank you!

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article writer for your site.
    You have some really good articles and I believe
    I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link
    back to mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested.
    Cheers!

1. [...] Do you need a quick gift idea and aren’t sure what to do?  How about a monogrammed mug using FolkArt Enamels!  Amy from The Idea Room will show you how to easily dress up a coffee mug and make it look like something you would pay big bucks for.  The great news is that one bottle of paint goes a long way, and Amy will also show you how to make those fun monogrammed towels to match.  Find the complete tutorial here. [...]