Looking for a new Christmas Tradition? Check our our favorite Christmas tradition and adopt it for your family. Use our list of the best Christmas books to start building your Own Christmas book collection!
I love Christmas…mostly because of the Family Traditions that we carry on from year to year. One of my favorites is a Christmas Books tradition that I ended up “borrowing” from one of my high school student’s family (back when I used to teach High School Science). Every year they received a new Christmas book that would be read on Christmas Day while they were gathered around the Christmas tree.
We had only one kid at the time and he was just a baby…so over the years we have slowly built our Christmas Books Collection. We like to wrap up the Christmas Books every year so that it is a surprise as to which book we are going to be reading. And…it solved the problem about which kid got to pick the more popular ones…haha! The kids take turns unwrapping the book each night.
If we get a new Christmas Book (some years we didn’t for various reasons…budget, forgetfulness, etc.) then we wrap that one up a little extra special and save that book for Christmas Day!
If you don’t have 25 books…which we don’t…you could start later in December, or re-read some of your books you have already read. The kids don’t care at all. Or you could choose to read some passages out of your scriptures or other Holiday Books.
We usually just wrap up the books in this simple brown paper. It is actually a roll of painter’s paper that you can roll out to cover the floor when you are painting. We use it for wrapping paper and the kids use it as a roll of paper to color on! You can find it at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
And these numbered tags…aren’t they so cute? I was going to make some for our books this year, but then found some that my friend Rebecca from Simple As That shares as a free download here… Advent Countdown Tags.
Now…of course…I totally forgot to take a picture of the books before my daughter’s wrapped them all up….and there is no way I am un-wrapping them to wrap them again. So here is a list of our very favorite Christmas Books under that wrapping paper…
This tradition can also be altered to represent the other December holidays you as a family may be celebrating other than Christmas (ie. Kwanza, Chanaukka, St. Nicholas Day, Boxing Day, St. Lucia Day, etc.)
BEST CHRISTMAS BOOKS
This is a list of our favorite books for the holidays! We love adding new ones to it!
1. Bear Stays Up For Christmas; Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
2. Welcome Comfort; Patricia Polaco
3. The Giving Tree; Shel Silverstein
4. The Polar Express; Chris Van Allsburg
5. You Are Special; Max Lucado
6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas; Dr. Suess
7. The Touch of the Master’s Hand; Myra Brooks Welch
8. The King’s Highway; Heward Fullmer
9. Christmas Day in the Morning; Pearl S. Buck
10. Too Many Frogs; Sandy Asher
11. I Believe in Santa Claus; Diane G. Adamson
12. A Wish to be a Christmas Tree; Colleen Monroe
13. Christmas Oranges; Linda Bethers
14. Snowmen at Christmas; Caralyn Buehner
15. The Story of Holly and Ivy; Rumer Godden
16. Christmas Tapestry; Patricia Polaco
17. The Tale of Three Trees; Angela Elwell Hunt
18. Jacob’s Gift; Max Lucado19. The Little Match Girl; Hans Christian Anderson20. A Christ Centered Christmas; Emily Belle Freeman21. How Santa Really Works; Alan Snow
For a printable version of the above list, click here.
What are some of your favorite Christmas books?
Click here for more Christmas Book Ideas.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.