Looking to get a new system for organizing holiday decorations? We created shelves in our attic to organize our holiday decor bins. Sharing our printable Holiday Decor Organization Labels.
HOLIDAY DECORWe recently decided to get our Holiday Decor Organized so that we had everything located in one space. Our garage attic is where we kept most of our holiday items, but there was a lot of wasted space in the attic. We knew we could make things more efficient in there so we could create more space so everything would fit together nicely. We have a fairly large attic that spans the entire length of the garage. It is really nice to have the extra space. But there was a lot of wasted space due to the pitch of the roof. We wanted to be able to use as much space as possible.
ORGANIZATION STORAGE SHELVESWe added a strip of wood along the inside of the V shaped space and then cut strips of plywood to create a space over the top of the V. We made it so that the plywood could be removed to store items we rarely use in the bottom under the plywood. The top of the plywood would now become a shelf that we could stack a couple of storage bins on top of. This allowed us to use both sides of the previously unusable space. All of our Christmas bins fit on one side of the attic and the other holiday decor fits on the other side. The tall part of the attic at the end is where we keep our Christmas trees and outdoor decor and Christmas wreaths. Now we have a lot of space to be able to move around and find bins that we need. I created labels so that I would know what was inside of each bin. I
HOLIDAY DECOR LABELSI wanted to be able to use labels that were large enough to see what was in each of the bins. Because I am always looking for better ways to get organized, I wanted to be able to use some type of label that could easily be switched out. I found these labels that have a plastic envelope that are sticky backed so they could be placed on plastic bins. They worked perfectly and were exactly what I was looking for. Then I created a bunch of different labels on my computer for the various holidays and items you might be storing. All you have to do is download and print them out. I also created some blank labels so that you could create some specific labels for your own holiday decor. Grab them by clicking on the button below or here.
HOLIDAY DECOR ORGANIZATION TIPSThere are some tips that you can use to help get your holiday decor organization even more organized. I am always changing things up when I find something that is a little more efficient than the system I am currently using. Here are some things I have learned.
- Designate a specific space to store your holiday decor. This can be closet or two, the garage, or an attic or storage space.
- Get rid of broken, out dated items that you are no longer using by throwing them away or donating them.
- Organize and sort like items together so they can be found easily.
- Place items in storage bins for specific areas of the home if you want to keep all the items that go in the family room in one spot, or keep similar items grouped together. Find a system that works for you. Currently I have organized my according to rooms for Christmas decorations. Then I can decorated one room at a time and only have one bin out as needed.
- Use clear storage bins or colored to help you sort which holiday items go where and so you can see what is in the boxes.
- Place the storage bins with the items used most often in the easily accessible spots. Items that are not used as often can be placed in the back or on the bottom or top shelves.
- Use labels to clearly mark the contents of each storage bin.
OTHER ORGANIZATION PROJECTSIf you are interested in taking a deeper look into some of the spaces in my home, check out the following posts!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.