Bath Salts

Photobucket

I have to say that I am in a bit of shock with how kind all of you have been. And I seriously just looked at my stat counter and swear it was only at 3,000. Where have you all come from?? I have enjoyed reading all of your nice comments and am inspired to try to keep the ideas coming. Thanks for all of your support!

Now, are any of you still looking for that last minute Mother’s Day gift? What mom wouldn’t enjoy a long, quiet, no kids allowed, soak in a hot tub? These are super easy, and chances are you already have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your home. This is a recipe which my sister used to make for her friends a few years ago.

3 cups epsom salt
2 cups baking soda
1 cup table salt
Food or soap coloring
Scented essential oil

If you want more than one scent and color, separate into different bowls before adding the color and scent. Then you can have 2-3 different choices to choose from. Let the bath salts dry for 24 hours before placing them into your decorative jars.

**My sister reminded me that some essential oils are better when using on your skin than others are. Try to find the ones that contain mineral oils or natural oils and are free from acetone and drying ingredients.

Amy Huntley is the owner/author of The Idea Room. A mother of five, who enjoys sharing her love of all things creative in hopes of inspiring other women and families. Connect with her on Google+, or read more of her posts.

Comments

1. 1
    Anonymous says:

This is a great idea, and not too difficult to do. Thanks for the tip :)

2. 2
    Claire says:

I just discovered you blog — it’s awesome!
    You have really great ideas =) Keep up the good work!

3. 3
    Lauren says:

I found your blog on oneprettything.com and LOVED what I saw! I am definitely following! You have such cute and creative ideas!

4. 4

A day to late. Last night for pictionary this was my prize and I couldn’t find how to make it anywhere. I ended up just buying some but they are expensive.

5. 5
    flarffy2000 says:

What kind of camera do you have? Your pictures are great!

6. 6
    Marcy M Miller says:

So cute! Thanks for the recipe. Where did you find your cute bottles. I definately want to make these for gifts for friends!!!

7. 7
    Marcy M Miller says:

Sorry- I forgot to ask also where you get the scented essential oil at?

8. 8

I have a Nikon D40 camera that I love. I take most of my pictures with my bigger lens which is 55-200 mm. I just zoom in closer to get the sharper image.

I found the essential oils and bottles at Michael’s Crafts, but bought them a few years ago. I think they carry them in most craft supply stores though. They were around $1-2 each

9. 9

I just found your blog. I have been sitting here browsing and just loving all of your ideas! Thanks for being so creative, seriously.
    I am totally inspired! Thanks ☺

10. 10
    mom2domgigi says:

Just found your blog via "Controlling my Chaos" LOVE IT!!!! I think that I am addicted.

11. 11

I found your blog from another blogger (I forgot where) and I am hooked. I love all your ideas. I made the bath salt and brown body scrub as a shower gift for one of our friends today.

You can see the pictures here http://peachypapaya.blogspot.com/2009/09/diaper-cake.html

Thank you so much…..

12. 12

I absolutely love, love, love your ideas!!! I am a nurse and all my co-workers are going to recieve some foot scrub and bath scrub for Christmas, they will love them. Thank you

13. 13

Really you shouldn’t use a mineral oil, most are petroleum based, use olive oil, safflower oil, almond oil, or coconut oil.

14. 14

I first made bath salts when I was in Brownies many, many, many, many years ago. I remember putting it in pretty jars and giving it as Christmas gifts. I love this idea! Have made some in a while so I may have to get my Epsom Salt out and start up, again! Thanks for posting!

15. 15

I saw you salt scrubs on pinterest and I think this will make a great Christmas gift for my lady friends. I printed the recipe and now I am looking for the vintage bottles, could you tell me where you found them, please? Thank You.

16. 17

How much do you use in a bath and how long does it last…expectation date on a jar I just made today?
    Thank you. :-)

17. 19

Thanks for every other fantastic article. The place else
    could anyone get that type of info in such an ideal means of
    writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such info.

1. [...] found the recipe for the Bath Salts over at one of my favorite blogs – The Idea Room.  The recipe calls for table salt, epsom salts, baking soda and essential oils. I cut the recipe [...]

2. [...] Bath Salts—Need a quick and affordable Mother’s Day gift? Try this easy recipe for scented bath salts. Add an extra touch of design by displaying them in festive jars, making this a great homemade solution to impress her this Mother’s Day. She’ll love the warm soothing effects of the bath salts, and will love the thought you’ve put into it even more. [...]