Hi “Idea Roomers”! I’m so excited to be posting over here after meeting Amy (and being ‘secret sisters’) at the SNAP conference in Salt Lake City. She gave me the most fun gifts throughout the trip – my favorite being the colorful paper baking containers, kind of like these.
I’m Kelley and I write a food (slash drink, slash party, slash travel, slash…whatever I feel like at the moment) blog called Eat Drink Eat.
Last weekend we had a family BBQ up at the “ranch” as we like to call it. My cousins camped out in their tents over the weekend so I thought I’d make festive ‘Campfire Smores Cookies’. Perfect for Summertime.
It’s a take on my cake cookies but with a smores twist!
- 1-8oz. package of cool whip (found in the freezer section)
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) salted butter, softened
- 7 oz. marshmallow cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 box (8 oz.) powdered sugar
- 2 TBS milk
- Start your cookies first by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the cool whip, cake mix and egg together.
- Place your powdered sugar into a bowl and cover your fingers with some to keep it from getting too sticky.
- Drop balls of dough (a little smaller than golf balls) into the powdered sugar to coat and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes – make sure to keep them super chewy.
- While they cook (and cool) make your marshmallow frosting.
- In a mixer, add softened butter, marshmallow cream and vanilla and turn on medium until completely combined.
- With the mixer on, slowly add the powdered sugar followed by the milk.
- Keep it on the thick side so it won’t ooze out of the cookies.
- When the cookies are completely cooled, add a large spoonful of the filling to one of the cookies and make it a sandwich with another cookie.
- If you are feeling crazy, you can use a kitchen torch on just the filling to add that campfire feel.
And with a little torching action (they do get a little melty when you do this):
Kid tested (my almost 3-year old):
Thanks again, Amy!
Thanks so much for sharing these yummy cookies with us Kelley! It was so fun to have you! Be sure to head on over to Kelley’s site for more inspiration and yummy eats like the following: