Scotcheroos are an easy and delicious family treat. A perfect dessert recipe for those who love chocolate, peanut butter and creamy butterscotch over a krispy bar. Gluten free Scotcheroos Recipe!
I tried this Chocolate Peanut Butter Scotcheroos Recipe when I was a young kid at my friend’s house. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had never had a rice krispie treat so decadent and rich. They made our regular rice krispie treats seem boring. My mom got the recipe and we have been making them in my family ever since.
The good thing about these rice krispie bars is that because they are so rich, you only need a small little piece to satisfy your sweet tooth. So we tend to cut them into small pieces which makes them last a lot longer or we can share them with more people.
HOW TO MAKE SCOTCHEROOS
There is a trick to making the perfect Scotcheroos. I have only figured out the secret because I failed a few times to make them perfect. They can come out as hard as a brick if you make them wrong. I know this from experience. So to make sure you come out with the perfect Scotcheroos… soft and a little crunchy make sure follow these directions exactly!
- Measure out all your ingredients and have them ready to go.
- Put the Rice Chex in a large bowl that has been sprayed lightly with grease so it doesn’t stick to the pan and then set aside!
- Melt the sugar and corn syrup in a medium heavy pan on the stove by bringing it to a boil. DO NOT OVERCOOK! You just want to make sure the sugar is melted into the corn syrup. As soon as the mixture starts to boil remove the pan from the heat immediately!
- Stir the peanut butter into the sugar mixture until it is smooth and creamy!
- Immediately pour this peanut butter mixture over your Rice Chex that has been set aside. Gently fold them together.
- Spread the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in the microwave heating them for 30 second intervals and stirring between each heating.
- Mix together until it is nice and creamy.
- Pour over the top of the Rice Chex in the pan.
- Pop into the fridge to let the chocolate harden and set up before serving.
SCOTCHEROOS GLUTEN FREE
These Scotcheroos make an appearance at our house often because they are so easy to make and the entire family LOVES them. They are also gluten free so that makes them the perfect treat for us to enjoy with our daughter who has Celiac Disease. Just make sure you check your labels on the butterscotch chips because they can sometimes have hidden gluten in them. If you can’t find any gluten free butterscotch chips you can always leave them out and add a little more chocolate chips! They will still make a great dessert recipe.
CHOCOLATE SCOTCHEROOS VIDEO
You will definitely need to eat one with a tall glass of ice cold milk. So be sure to have some ready when you make them. Have you ever tried them? Go ahead and make some! Our Scotcheroos Video shows you just how easy they are to whip up!
- glass mixing bowls
- 9 x 13 brownie pan
- kitchen hand towel
- 2 cup glass measuring cup
- kitchen hand towels
- rubber spatula
- medium saucepan
Always a hit, you will want to keep this recipe on your speed dial! Perfect for parties and get together if you want a treat everyone can enjoy! You might need to make two pans if you want them to last long enough!
- 6 cups Rice Chex Gluten-free Rice Krispies would probably be good too
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cups butterscotch chips
Grease a large round bowl and pour the cereal in. Set aside.
Grease a 9×13 inch pan. Set aside.
In a pan on the stove, combine the corn syrup and sugar. Stir over medium/high heat until it comes to a boil.
Immediately remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter. Immediately pour this mixture over the cereal and fold in. Pour into the 9×13 pan.
In a microwaveable bowl (or other microwave-safe dishes) combine the butterscotch chips and chocolate chips. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring very well after each interval, until it is completely melted and smooth. It should take about 1 minute and 30 seconds.
Check out some of our other favorite desserts.
- Peanut Butter No Bake Chocolate Dessert
- Pumpkin Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- New York Cheesecake
- 3 ingredient Ice Cream Pie
- Magic Cookie Bars
- French Chocolate Silk Pie
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Brownie Trifle
Thanks so much for stopping by! xoxo
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.