One thing I love is an easy dinner recipe. When you have a family, things can get really busy. Sometimes I don’t have a lot of time to make dinner for the family and I need something that is quick and easy…but delicious. This Lasagna Bake with Penne Pasta is a simple recipe you can make in 30 minutes or less.
My family loves Lasagna…and even though Lasagna is pretty simple to make, sometimes you want to make something even more simple! LOL! We had Lasagna on the menu plan one night. After a busy day I got everything out to start dinner and realized I had forgotten to get some Lasagna Noodles. I did have some Penne noodles on hand so I modified my Lasagna Recipe a bit to make this Lasagna Bake.
To my surprise, the kids throughly enjoyed it. They said they liked it even better than our usual Lasagna. Well…what do you know…I guess this Lasagna Bake will be making it’s way into our family’s recipe rotation.
Easy Lasagna Bake with Penne Pasta
1 (12 ounce) package dry penne pasta
1-2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound mild Italian sausage or ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
½ tsp. oregano
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheddar cheese)
1 cup italian cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until al dente; drain. (If you want a softer noodle cook for the longer time).
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Place sausage, onion and garlic in the skillet and cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toss with cooked pasta, and place in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with mozzarella and italian cheese blend.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted. (Cover with foil if you don’t want some noodles on the top to be hardened).
Go ahead and try it out for yourself. Feel free to make any adjustments to the spices so that it fits your family’s tastes. You can always change up the cheese blends, add some parmesan cheese, throw in some spinach or more spices.
If you like this Easy Lasagna Recipe, you might also be interested in this Lasagna Recipe!