I can’t believe I haven’t shared this recipe with you yet….! After 5 years of sharing here, I sometimes get confused about what I have shared and what I haven’t. For some reason I thought I had shared our favorite Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe with you. My friend Stacie, asked me for it recently and I tried to find the link for her so she could print it out for herself…but I realized I had never shared it!
What?! What a tragedy! I just know you have been missing out because you haven’t had this recipe…but alas, today is your lucky day ;)!
And of course, that means it was also my family’s lucky day…because it meant that I had to actually make the said Mac and Cheese for dinner AND so I could take some photos of it! I mean seriously…the things I do for you people! My job can be pretty rough sometimes.
I didn’t even wait to have our favorite pasta noodles (elbow) for this recipe and just used some that I already had on hand. It turns out that even shell pasta noodles taste delicious when they are smothered in this cheesy goodness!
It’s a good thing I have started running again, so I could eat some without feeling too much guilt. Life is too short to cut out all comfort food, all of the time. And with school and the busy after school schedules for everyone starting this week, the whole family needed some comforting!
“The Best” Homemade Mac and Cheese Recipe
1 lb. pasta (16 oz.)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. pepper
4 cups milk
**5-6 cups cheese (sharp/medium cheddar, or your favorite)
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs (we like Panko)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Boil your pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add 1/2 cup flour and whisk together for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Whisk continuously so that the mixture does not burn.
- Add the salt and pepper. Slowly mix in the 4 cups of milk. Reheat and bring to a nice simmer. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until the white sauce thickens up. Whisk frequently to prevent burning and lumps.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan. Pour the cooked pasta into the pan.
- Grate 5-6 cups of cheese and sprinkle it over the pasta in your pan.
- Pour the white sauce over the cheese and stir it together to combine.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. of butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the 1/2 bread crumbs and stir together. Brown the bread crumbs while stirring often to prevent burning. Remove when most crumbs have turned a nice brown color.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the Mac and Cheese.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in a 325 degree oven.
- Serve up while hot and cheesy!
If you are serving this as a main meal, it will feed about 6 people…unless you have large teenage boys :). Otherwise it will serve about 8 as a side dish.
Now go and make some and you can thank me later!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.