We are almost at the end of another year, can you believe it? I just recently created this fun and simple DIY New Year’s Eve Photo Backdrop in partnership with JOANN in anticipation of the New Year. I am hosting a New Year’s Eve party for my extended family and friends this year. So, I thought a photo booth would be a fun addition to the party!
I also created some really simple photo props for everyone to use in their New Year’s Eve Photos. I love the idea of having the kids take some fun photos of them by themselves and together with their siblings, cousins and friends!
I grabbed this chalkboard so that everyone can write down their own caption or their New Year’s Resolution! I am not sure what my daughter’s real New Year’s Resolution is for the upcoming year, but I thought this would be a good one for her! She didn’t think I was very funny!
Let me share how I created the backdrop so you can make one too! I found all of my supplies at my local JOANN!
1 Light Curtain Background (wedding aisle)
4 LED Light Lanterns (wedding aisle)
2 wood dowels (1/4 inch in size)
needle and thread (optional)
1. Find a wall that you can use for your photo background. I chose a wall that is in our family room that is white. I just had to move the furniture around a little bit so that I could leave the photo backdrop up and it would be out of the way for the party, but easy for people to use to take photos!
2. You will want to have the photo backdrop taller than your tallest guest. This will allow you to take photos where the lights are covering the entire background. Hang your command hooks up on the wall at the height you want the backdrop to start. I used 5 command hooks to cover about 5 feet across the wall.
3. Hang your lights so that they hook onto the command hooks and your plug is able to be plugged into an electrical outlet.
4. Take your tulle and measure it so that it covers the entire length of the wall from the top of the command hooks to the floor. Cut it about two inches longer than that length. Fold over the top of the tulle so that it measures about an inch and then sew the tulle so that you have a tube to slide the wood dowel into. Sew a large basting stitch so you can bunch the tulle together.
6. Hang your lantern’s along the top of the command strips as well so that they are looping down a little on the top.
7. You may need to tape down the strands of lights at the bottom so that they stretch down the wall as far as possible. I used some packing tape to secure a couple of strands that didn’t want to stretch out on their own.
That is all there is to it! I love how bright and fun this backdrop is. It is so versatile that you could use it for a lot of different types of photos or occasions…like a wedding, birthday party, or some high school dance pictures!
And because a fun photo backdrop needs some fun photo props to go with it, here is how I made the polaroid frame. I just took a posterboard and cut out the middle of it. The sides and top measure 4 inches and the bottom measures 6.5 inches if you want yours the same as mine. Then simply add this cute gold glittered letters! You can also use the piece of the posterboard you cut out and make a little 2018 sign with the gold letters too!
There are so many fun photo props you can add to your New Years Eve Photo Booth. Gather them up and put them in a basket by your backdrop and let your guests have fun!
Be sure to check out your local JOANN store for more fun and creative ideas! You can also follow along with JOANN on their social media platforms.
*This post is in collaboration with JOANN. I am honored to be working with a company that I truly love!
You may also be interested in these other New Year’s Eve Party Games and Activity Ideas.
Would you like more recipes, printables, DIY/Decor, and organization ideas?
Sign up for updates and get a free copy or our Sugar Scrubs eBook!