Wild Orange Body Butter Recipe

Another spa recipe? You bet! I just love coming up with new ways to use my doTerra essential oils.  And…living in a dry, desert state has me craving some super yummy lotions and body butters, especially with the approach of summer time.

orange-body-butter 5

If you have been following along with me for a while, you will know of my love for my doTerra oils and of all things citrusy.  One of my favorite oils is doTerra’s Wild Orange essential oils.  It smells amazing.  Sometimes I will just dab a little drop on my neck so that I can smell it all day long!

orange-body-butter 8

I decided to take it one step further and make a lovely, creamy cocoa body butter with it.  You could substitute mango butter instead of cocoa butter and it would be equally as delicious.  But, since I already had some cocoa butter on hand, I used that.  I actually really loved the final outcome because the cocoa butter gives the body butter a hint of cocoa smell…so it smells like chocolate oranges…and you can’t go wrong with that.

orange-body-butter 7

This recipe is a great basic recipe and you should be able to substitute any essential oil with the Wild Orange oil to make a number of great smelling body butters (think chocolate mint, chocolate raspberry, cinnamon, etc).  So, if orange isn’t your favorite, experiment with something that you are going to love!

orange-body-butter 6

Wild Orange Body Butter Recipe

1 cup shaved Cocoa Butter

1 to 2 TBSP of Almond Oil (Coconut Oil)

8 drops of Vitamin E oil (optional)

8 drops of Wild Orange doTerra Essential Oil

1.  Soften Cocoa Butter in the microwave if yours is hard.  Do this by melting it in 5 second intervals.  You want it soft like butter…not liquid.

2.  Whip up the cocoa butter with a hand held beater (mixer) and slowly add your almond oil.  I use less almond oil and just slowly add it till I have a good consistency.

3.  Add in the Vitamin E oil and your essential oils and stir together to fully incorporate.

4.  Store in an airtight container.

5.  Only scoop the body butter out of the container with clean hands to prevent bacteria from growing in the body butter.

6.  Should last for up to 3 months.

7.  Use as a body lotion to make hands and skin soft, smooth and smelling amazing.

orange-body-butter 9

This makes a perfect gift for friends and family!  Put it in a cute container and add this adorable printable Wild Orange Body Butter Label to finish it off nicely!

orange-body-butter 1

The labels can be printed off from here, which I am happy to share with you below.  Simply print the label (which comes in a couple of different sizes to fit your needs) on white computer paper or white cardstock on your colored laser printer (this is keep it from bleeding ink if wet).  Then cut it out with a circle punch or scissors and glue onto the container lid or side of the container with a simple glue stick.  The labels look just like a real sticker label!  If you want to reuse the container, all you have to do is soak the label in warm water and it comes right off!

orange-body-butter

If you would like to download the Wild Orange Body Butter Labels, click on the link below:

{Wild Orange Body Butter Labels}

*If you are not a fan of The Idea Room on Facebook, you will need to click like first and become a fan. After you become a fan you will need to click on “Get your free gift” in the upper right hand corner of the Idea Room FB page and then click on “Previous Downloads”.

If you are interested in learning more about doTERRA oils or how you can become a part of my doTERRA team I would be happy to answer your questions! Contact me here.

Other Idea Room Sugar Scrubs/Bath Salts you might be interested in checking out:

Frankincense Sugar Scrub

Myrrh Bath Salts

Homemade Bath Salts Recipe

Chocolate Sugar Scrub

Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar Scrub

Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub

Peppermint Sugar Foot Scrub

Candy Cane Sugar Scrub

Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub

Lemon Sugar Scrub

Brown Sugar Scrub

Citrus Bliss Sugar Scrub Cubes

Comments

1. Kelley says

Hi! I have a question for you. I made the sugar scrubs and LOVE them! But I am working on butters and can’t smell the essential oils over the Shea or cocoa butters. All I can smell is chocolate. And while I love chocolate as much as the next girl, I am not crazy about smelling like that all day long. I tried doubling the essential oils to get a stronger smell with not much luck. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ps. Really like the feel of your butter recipe. Just want to change up the scents a bit. :)

I would check to see if you have a old or rancid cocoa butter. It does have a smell for sure, but it shouldn’t be too overpowering. You can also try a shea butter base or a mango butter base if you aren’t crazy for the cocoa butter smell.

This looks so amazing! I will definitely be trying it. I made your grapefruit sugar scrub for all of my mother’s day gifts and everyone loved it!!

I LOVE hearing that you made the grapefruit scrub and loved it! Thanks for sharing that! I hope you love this one too!

3. Kathy Trudeau says

Link to labels doesnt work. Directs to “page not found”. Any way to correct this?

4. Debbie says

When I clicked on to print the labels it directed me to a Facebook page, I then clicked on that link and it took me to another page, there it said the labels would be available soon. Are they available somewhere else?

The labels should be available now. I have been busy with kids stuff and then my internet was having issues. The labels are up and available now! Thanks for your patience!

5. Amy says

I was wondering if this was the same thing? I’d love to be able to go to my local hobby lobby and grab it instead of having to pay for the butter and then the same amount for shipping….

I didn’t see a warning about sun exposure with the use of the orange oil. Just want to make sure you are aware that all the citrus oils (I believe grapefruit might be the exception to this) that are cold pressed (instead of distilled) can be very photo toxic (photosensitive skin – skin treated with citrus oils – will cause you to burn much faster with exposure to sunlight). doTERRA recommends that you avoid sunlight for for 12 hours after applying these oils to an exposed area. doTERRA uses specially processed citrus oils (steam distilled) for it’s products intended to be used during the day. So while I love this butter you made and plan to make some myself, I’ll be using it in the evenings before I go to bed and not during the day while I’m out working and playing. thanks for the amazing recipes and keep up the hard work. Love your site!!

7. Tiffany says

just a thought, while yes if you are going to apply lotion/body butter, then I would hope you hands would be clean but if you are using doTERRA oils as talked about your favorite rep, the oils aren’t the oils antiseptic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antifungal? That’s what I am being taught anyways.

8. Chinita says

I ordered cocoa butter from bulk apothecaries but it is in a jar so I can’t shave it. Is the jar form of the butter going to be too soft?

9. Chris says

Your body butter looks fantastic! Be careful when using citrus essential oils in butters and lotions as they are photosensitive and increase your chance of sunburn.

10. Patti says

I made the orange body butter but it hardened and I have to dig it out of the container then softened it in my hands before I can apply it. Did I do something wrong?

• Sandra says

adding a little extra almond oil to the ratio might make it stay softer – not solidify so much when it cools. Cocoa butter gets very hard as it cools, whipping in the oil makes the butter less solid—the more oil involved the less solid…soften your batch in the microwave or in a hot water bath and whip in some extra base oil (almond, coconut, olive, etc.) that should make the mix stay “buttery” just a suggestion.

I Pinned your recipe. Looks so good! I just got this at a demo this past week. I also referred to in with a picture on one of my boards.

You are so creative! Thank you for the inspiration!

Gail Pickens-Barger

12. Stephanie says

I am making this for a gift for a bunch of ladies this week… can you tell me where you got your containers and what size they are? I need to make 15 and making them with the Creamsicle Scrub as well, so will make a smaller quantity- 4 oz each, I’m thinking. How many lbs. of cocoa butter should i buy for that?

1. […] After reading, Mrs. Huntley’s blog about this amazing lotion I was struck by the urge to try my hand at some. And while now is not the time to try making anything (you know… finals… yuck!), I do hope to eventually get around to making this recipe. One reason that I think this will make a wonderful Christmas gift is that it has almost every woman’s favorite scent,CHOCOLATE!! Mrs. Huntley gives readers a very basic recipe that can me manipulated into any kind of fragrance that you want. And the best part is that it will always have a hint of cocoa to it. She also mentions that you can substitute mango butter instead, but who would want to do that! So to finish off another super short tutorial post, I hear by give you the link to the best body butter in town….. Wild Oranges!! […]