These soft chocolate sugar cookies are soft and chewy on the inside and a little crisp on the edges. The perfect cookie recipe. Our Soft chocolate sugar cookies recipe will be your new favorite cookie!
CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
Have you ever tried chocolate sugar cookies? These soft and chewy cookies are so delicious and full of chocolate-y flavor. A great cookie recipe perfect for a sweet treat at home or to take and share with your friends and family! The best part of these cookies is that they are so soft and chewy but have slightly crisp edges. So they are the perfect combination of the two!
CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE
These soft chocolate sugar cookies freeze well. If you want to make them before and freeze them until you are ready to eat them, you totally can. I like to make some and then save them to pull out for a last minute treat or for when I need them for a get together during the busy holiday season!
We roll the cookies in a little bit of granulated sugar before baking them to give them a little bit of texture. It also makes them a little extra pretty too! You can omit this step if you want and the soft chocolate sugar cookies will still be delicious!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES
- If you are going to roll your chocolate sugar cookies in sugar, pour the sugar into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a bowl, melt the butter in the microwave so that it is soft but not completely liquid. Take care not to overheat; Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons butter until melted. Allow the butter to cool for 5-10 minutes before adding to your mixer.
- Mix the brown sugar, vanilla and salt into the melted butter until the mixture is completely smooth. Mix in the egg and egg yolk until smooth.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder into the mixture until just combined.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 2 inches. Roll the balls in the granulated sugar and place on lightly greased (or lined with Silpat liners) baking sheets.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a bit more granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until they have puffed and have a few cracks on the top for 12-14 minutes. Overbaking the cookies will make them dry.
- Transfer the cookies to a baking rack to cool completely.
CHOCOLATE CANDY CANE COOKIES
We usually end up making these cookies around the holidays. But they are the perfect cookie anytime of the year. They are delicious on their own, but sometimes we like to dress them up a bit.
We have dipped them into some melted white chocolate and sprinkled some crushed candy canes on them. This makes them super tasty and festive…perfect for a cookie exchange or Christmas party! You might need to double or triple the batch so you have enough to go around for everyone!
SOFT CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIE
Soft Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups +2 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 14 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs use a whole egg and 1 egg yolk
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg. Gradually stir in the sifted ingredients to form a soft dough.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours so that the dough is easy to handle and roll out.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
Bake for 8 minutes at 375 degrees.
Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
CHOCOLATE SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE VIDEO
Watch our chocolate sugar cookies recipe video to see just how easy it is to make this delicious cookie recipe! Most likely you have everything in your cupboards and fridge to make this right now! What is stopping you?!
If you love cookies, you might want to check out our other delicious cookie recipes listed below!
- Gingerbread Cookies
- Chocolate gingerbread cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Eggnog Snickerdoodles
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Butter Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Lemon Drop Cookies
- Lemon Meltaway Cookies
- Swig Sugar Cookies
- Jelly roll baking sheets
- Silpat baking liners
- Kitchenaid mixer
- Cooling rack
- rubber spatula
- kitchen hand towels
- cookie spatula
- parchment paper
Happy Baking! Thanks so much for stopping by!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.