Make these simple Fingerprint Necklace with the kids for Valentine’s Day or Mother’s Day. Video tutorial and Baking Soda Clay Recipe.
Looking for a simple and easy Valentine’s Day gift for Mom or Grandma? Make these Fingerprint Necklace. They are made with Baking Soda Clay. Today I am sharing how to make them.
HOW TO MAKE A FINGERPRINT HEART NECKLACE
- Baking Soda Clay (recipe below)
- Baking Soda
- straw or wooden skewer
- rolling pin
- circle cookie cutter (mine was about 1.5 inches)
- baker’s twine
- 2 craft paints: I buy this red and white
- craft varnish
BAKING SODA CLAY
To make them, you will need to make a batch of this Baking Soda Clay. It is made with three ingredients you most likely have in your home right now.
Want To Make Your Holiday Planning EASY And ORGANIZED?
Check Out Our CHRISTMAS ESSENTIALS
Baking Soda Clay
- 1 cup Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 2/3 cup Water
Mix all ingredients together and stir over medium heat until the clay reaches the consistency of mashed potatoes. Remove from heat and knead dough.
I created a short video so you could see how easy they are to make.
- Once the dough is ready, simply roll out the dough and cut circles out using a circle cookie cutter or round object.
- Poke a hole for the necklace string with a straw or a wooden skewer.
- Take your child’s finger and gently press their finger to make two impressions so that they are forming a heart.
- Let the clay dry over a couple of days. Small cracks may form, but that is okay. If the cracks are too large, they can be filled in with some white Elmer’s Glue and gently rubbed in.
- Paint the entire circle white and then let dry.
- Paint the heart fingerprints your desired color and let dry.
- Brush on some varnish in a matte or gloss finish.
- Add a string to wear as a necklace (or a magnet to attach to the fridge).
*Not sure why I have to state this…because it seems kind of obvious…but these are not waterproof…the varnish should seal them and keep them protected and help them to last a long time…but don’t get them wet or shower in them :)!
VALENTINE’S DAY IDEAS
I came up with some other Valentine projects. Sharing them below:
- Valentine Hearts Yahtzee Game
- Valentines Day Table Decorations
- Valentines Day Sugar Cookie Bars
- Heart Hand Warmers
- Valentines Day Classroom Parties
- Valentines Day Classroom Boxes
- Paper Heart Garland
- Valentines Day Sign
- Valentines Day Crafts
- Sealed with a Kiss
- Candy Cane Heart Suckers
- Love Potion no. 9
- Just a Little Crush
- Tic Tac Valentines
- Heart Bottles and Cookies
- I Chews You Valentine
- Three Valentine Printables
- Framed Heart Decor
- Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Cookie Pops
- Valentine’s Candy Bark
- Heart Shape Pancakes
If you liked this post, you might be interested in checking out these fun Handprint Valentine’s that also make great gifts! Perfect for Mother’s Day and Father’s Day too!!
VALENTINE DINNER PRINTABLES
Interested in grabbing the Valentine Party Labels? If so, I am offering them for a great deal at only $3.99! Simply click on the button below!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.