Cinnamon Banana Cake

Yesterday was Mr. Idea Room’s birthday! He likes food in general…but he really likes cake.  Especially our Cinnamon Banana Cake.  This recipe has been part of my family’s recipes for as long as I can remember.  We actually call it Sandy’s Cake.  I have no idea why.  I should probably ask because there could be a great family history story behind it.

cinnamon-banana-cake-recipe 1

Anyways…One of my favorite things about this cake is that it is made with bananas.  And for some reason when I buy bananas…they either are gobbled up quickly before I can use one on my bowl of Cheerios in the morning (grrr…and yes…I LOVE me some Cheerios).  Or, they sit and turn brown forgotten in the fruit basket.

Cinnamon-banana-cake

So, this is one of our favorite go to recipes.  This is also a recipe that we like to make and share with our neighbors and friends.

cinnamon-banana-cake-recipe

Cinnamon Banana Cake

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 dash salt
3 cups flour
1 pint sour cream (2 cups) or vanilla yogurt

Blend butter, sugar, bananas, eggs and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients. In another bowl make the filling.

Filling:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional…but why wouldn’t you?)

Layer batter and filling twice in a 9X13 dish. Bake 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.

* Sometimes the middle of the cake needs to bake longer.  If so, put foil over the cake after the 45 minutes and bake it for another 5 minutes.  Test with a toothpick in the middle to see if the batter sticks to it, if it comes out clean…the cake is finished.

cinnamon-banana-cake-recipes

Click here for a printable version of our Cinnamon Banana Cake Recipe.

Comments

Thanks so much for the pins. I really appreciate it. And yes…chocolate chips are the cure-all…at least in my mind!

I just found three over-ripe bananas in the hidden depths of my pantry. This sounds like a perfect way to use them up! :)

Haha! They have a tendency to hide at my house too…or get brown really fast…Hope you enjoy it. Hope that baby girl of yours is doing well.

This looks so yummy! Cinnamon and bananas, two of my favorites. I’m going to make it this weekend and I’m definitely throwing in the chocolate chips. They’re not optional for me; they’re required! :) I’ve also shared this post on my FB page!

Thanks for sharing this Peggy. Chocolate chips are NEVER optional here! I need to restock my COSTCO giant size bag :)

3. Mindy says

Funny, this morning Mr Mindy :) was bummed that I had 2 bad banana’s hanging on the fruit basket, so little K suggested I make banana bread, but this looks much better. Thanks for sharing!

I clicked “print recipe” before you could say banana cake! I’d make it tonight – right now – if I weren’t dead tired. I will make it tomorrow, though. I can’t wait

Looks sooooo Yummy!! I have a few bananas that will be perfectly ripe in a few days so I will have to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!! AJ@queenofmynest

6. Rachael says

This is a very good recipe! Thank you so much for sharing. My husband and baby girl loved it! :)

7. Nancy says

Oooo…can’t wait to try it. And I think you may have solved a problem I have with another recipe where the middle seems to need more baking time than the rest. Never occurred to me to cover it–thanks!

8. Helen Kerr says

I have just made this and it is amazing!! It’s so easy and delicious. and looks really great too…thanks!!

So glad to hear that you loved it! And thanks for taking the time to come on back and share that with us. It is always nice for others to see that people have made it and enjoyed it! Thanks Helen!

9. Kristi says

This looks yummy. You’ve probably already heard this tip, but if I only have one brown banana, I peel it and put it in my freezer. When I have three or four, I bake. Takes a few minutes to defrost and then just toss them in and mash them. I know what I’m making next time! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I actually did not know that Kristi! That is such a great tip. I am guilty of throwing away single bad bananas! Great tip! Thank you!

• Megan says

Or, if you only have one bad banana and few good ones but have the urge to bake with bananas, you can take the good ones and throw them in a plastic bag, peel and all, and throw them in the freezer. Take them out the next day and they’ll brown as they thaw and be ready for baking! :)

10. Jordianna says

I will definately be making this today, and I think I’ll add a nice cream cheese frosting, yum.

11. Rulissa @ Mustard Seeds in Ok says

Heavenly!!! I can’t wait to try this…I’m thinking for this weekend’s church luncheon! Thanks for the recipe and the delicious looking pics!

• Megan says

I didn’t have sour cream or yogurt on hand either. I went to Google and found that a tablespoon of lemon juice with milk filled to 1 cup is a substitute as well (emulates sour milk according to the website I found). I tried it when I made this last night and it tastes phenomenal!

Hi!
    I repinned this onto my Baking and Cafe’ board (http://pinterest.com/lesliehellohome/baking-and-cafe/) two weeks ago, and just made it this morning!!
    OH WOW~ We all LOVED it!
    It was moist, dense, crunchy (from the topping), gooey (from the chocolate chips).
    Heaven.
    We ate it as coffee cake breakfast, not a dessert. Was that okay?
    ;)
    Thank you so much for this recipe. It is now part of our family’s recipe book!
    Warm hugs from South Carolina!
    ~Leslie

So happy to hear that! It is all those things for me too! And…we always eat it for breakfast if it is around…cause I am a good mom like that ;) So glad you took the time to stop on over and let me know!

13. Jonda says

Made this recipe this morning while on vacation. My 2 sisters and I just gobbled up the first 3 slices. This cake probably won’t last until tomorrow with 3 families in the house!! Yummy! Thanks for sharing!

14. Bette says

Made this today with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Minis instead of the chocolate chips and also baked the banana’s in the skins (350*–15 mins until the skins looked black) to bring out a stonger banana flavor. Started out hand mixing, but decided the stand mixture was the better way of blending. Can’t get much better than cinnamon, chocolate, peanut butter, & banana. It’s very moist & good. My husband loves it, especially with the peanut butter cups but said it would be equally as good with the chocolate chips! Will definately make again. Thanks Amy for sharing a great recipe!

Yum. Love your addition of PB cups! I just might have to try that for the family the next time we have ripe bananas!

Hi! I pinned this cake on Pinterest & I have baked it twice, now! The first time to take as a thank-you for a dinner invite. & just today I baked one to send over to my husband in Afghanistan! He will LOVE it, I’m sure :)
    Anyway, I am new to the blogging world & I just wanted to tell you that I am sharing your recipe, but I will shoot all credit back to you!
    Thank-you so much for sharing! I love your page!

16. AussieMum says

Hi,

Fantastic recipe, can’t wait to try it out. One tip with freezing the bananas is just to throw them in the freezer as they are, in their skins. When ready to use them, leave them to defrost and then squeeze them out of the skins. No mashing as they will be nice and squishy from freezing!

17. Lorie says

Made this tonight after searching on Pinterest for yummy looking banana cake recipes to use up my overripe bananas. I usually make banana bread but decided I wanted to try a cake. This looked delicious and couldn’t get it out of my mind until I made it! My kids are going to love it! Thanks so much Amy for an awesome recipe and I will be following your other recipes! I am eating it now and I absolutely ❤ it!!!

I am so happy you enjoyed it. It is absolutely one of our favorite desserts as well and a good way to use up our old bananas. Thanks so much for actually taking the time to come back here and share that with me. I love to hear from people who have actually tried the things I am sharing here! Hope you continue to like what you see!

18. Andrea says

I made it last night and everyone who has eaten it so far loooooves it, they are all asking for the recipe! :) Thanks for sharing.

19. wendy says

How did you know that I have two overripe bananas sitting on my counter that I was just about to toss? Thanks for the timely post (my waistline hates you though) :-)

20. Corrinne says

I made this tonight for dessert, but because my family and I have given up chocolate for lent, I substituted 1/2 cup cinnamon chips and 1/2 cup butterscotch chips. Oh, my, goodness! This cake is so yummy that my hubby had 2 servings. Thank you!

21. Jacqueline says

This is a family classic at my house too! We call it “Cathy Baginski’s Banana-Chip Coffee Cake” because my mom got the recipe from her friend Cathy