Learn how easy it can be to make your own homemade cranberry sauce with my delicious cranberry sauce recipe. Cranberry sauce is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving meal and adds the perfect touch or sweet and tartness when paired with the turkey, mashed potatoes and your other favorite Thanksgiving side dishes.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
Yes. You can make this up to a few weeks in advance. If you will be serving the cranberry sauce within a week you can make it and store it in the refrigerator. Otherwise store it in the freezer for best results when you are ready to serve it.
HOW TO STORE CRANBERRY SAUCE
Store any leftover cranberry sauce in an airtight container or ziplock baggie in the refrigerator. The sauce should last up to three weeks if store properly. Serve cold or heat to a warm consistency.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE?
Yes. Simply store the cranberry sauce in an airtight ziplock baggie in the freezer. It should last for a couple months until you are ready to use it. Simply let the sauce sit out to reach room temperature or warm it slowly on the stovetop.
WAYS TO SERVE CRANBERRY SAUCE
Most people like to spoon cranberry sauce on their turkey, mashed potatoes and rolls. But it can really be served with other items as well. I like to serve it warm for Thanksgiving dinner. And serve it cold over the left over turkey sandwiches over the next couple of days.
WAYS TO USE THIS LEFTOVER CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE
- spread onto leftover turkey sandwiches
- pour over pancakes or waffles
- spread in a grilled cheese sandwich
- serve with roast beef or pork
- spoon into your favorite muffin recipe
- spread onto a roll or toasted bread with butter
- stir into a yogurt parfait
- spread into pastry puff and bake
- orange juicer
- wooden spoon
- serving bowl
- relish spoon
- citrus zester
- pairing knife
- cinnamon sticks
- hot pads
HOW TO MAKE CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE
Cranberry sauce is really so simple and easy to make. So easy that we will never go back to eating canned cranberry sauce again. Its just too good! Simply follow my step-by-step directions below and you will be enjoying it with your Thanksgiving meal this year!
CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE INGREDIENTS
You will need the following ingredients to make my cranberry sauce recipe.
- granulated white sugar
- fresh orange juice
- fresh cranberries
- cinnamon sticks
- orange peel or orange zest
Note: You can add a dash of vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and/or allspice if you want to spruce up the sauce a bit, but my family thinks the recipe is perfect as it is. I have also seen some recipes that include some chopped apples or pears to their sauce which sounds pretty delicious to me!
EASY HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE RECIPE
¾ cup sugar
½ cup fresh orange juice
½ cup water
12 oz fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked through pinch of salt 1 cinnamon stick
1 piece of orange peel (just use a potato peeler or paring knife)
- Combine sugar, orange juice, and water in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cranberries, salt, cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- Bring to boiling on medium-high heat.
- Turn down the heat and simmer be sure to stir frequently.
- Continue cooking, for about 10 minutes, or until all or most of the cranberries pop. I like to leave a handful of berries whole so the sauce looks prettier.
- Let cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer cranberry sauce into a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate in the fridge until ready to use. Slowly reheat on the stove or in the microwave before serving. Can also be served cold if that is your preference.
- Can be made up to 3 days in advance.
MORE THANKSGIVING RECIPES
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH, BRUSSEL SPROUTS AND PECAN SALAD
- PUMPKIN SHAPED ROLLS
- HOW TO MAKE RHODES ROLLS COPYCAT RECIPE
- PARMESAN CRUSTED ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
- GARLIC ROASTED ASPARAGUS
- APPLE PECAN SALAD
- BERRY SALAD WITH ORANGE VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
- CHEESY FUNERAL POTATOES
- GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
- RASPBERRY PRETZEL SALAD
- HOMEMADE PIE CRUST
- APPLE PIE RECIPE
- MINI PIES
- COCONUT CREAM PIE
- CHOCOLATE SILK PIE
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.