Today I am sharing our Homemade Turtles Recipe with you. I don’t know about you, but this Turtle Pecan Christmas Candy Recipe is one of my favorites. They are so easy to make and can be made right at home! We don’t make them very often because we like to make them at Christmas time as a family tradition.
Do you have special recipes that you only make for the holidays?
I love the holidays for many reasons. But I think the most compelling reason is the time we are able to spend with my family and friends making memories. On a typical holiday, my family tends to gather together in the kitchen sharing our favorite memories and enjoying our favorite family recipes. These Homemade Turtles are one of my very favorites!
Want To Make Your Holiday Planning EASY And ORGANIZED?
Check Out Our CHRISTMAS ESSENTIALS
These Homemade Turtles are fancy enough that they make a great Christmas gifts too! Wrap them up in a pretty package and your friends and family are going to look forward to them every year. And…the best part is they look harder to make then they really are!
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE TURTLES
Here are some tips and rules to follow when making this turtle candy recipe. This can ensure you get great results every time you make it.
- Make sure you have fresh pecans (other nuts will work too if you are not a huge fan of pecans) and making sure they are roasted and lightly salted. You can do that yourself on the stove if you can not find any.
- Make sure you have a great melting chocolate. I love using the professional melting chocolates if you can find a good quality one, or Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Chips work great too!
- Quality caramels are a must. If I am in a hurry, I will melt down store bought caramels. But, if you have time, Homemade Caramel is always a great option. You can try our Homemade Caramel recipe here. If you do go with the Homemade Caramel you will probably not need to add any half and half to thin out the caramel when melting them. You may have to experiment with a batch to get the perfect combination if you use different types.
If you are interested in a printable recipe, simply click on the link below! Now go and get your candy making on!
TURTLE CANDY RECIPE
Here is the recipe for our favorite Homemade Turtles!
One of my favorite Christmas Candy Recipes is this Homemade Turtle Candy. They are so easy to make and can be made right at home!
- 8 ounces pecan halfs roasted, lightly salted
- 25 each caramel squares unwrapped
- 1/4 cup cream or half-and-half divided
- 16 ounces milk chocolate melted
- 1 dash sea salt optional for sprinkling
Line two baking sheets or large platters with parchment paper.
Make small piles of pecans, using 5 to 6 pieces per pile. Overlap the pecans some to reduce gaps so the caramel doesn’t seep through.
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the caramels, half of the cream (reserve the remainder), and heat on high power to melt. Heating in 30 second intervals so they do not burn.
The caramel is runny and loose when it first comes together, but firms up quite a bit as it cools. If the mixture seems thick and needs more cream, add the remaining amount.
Alternatively, you can melt caramels on the stove over low heat, using caution and stirring frequently.
Add about 1 tablespoon caramel to the top of each pecan pile; set aside.
In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate in 30 second intervals as well.
Add about 2 tablespoons chocolate to the top of each pecan cluster smoothing it over the middle and letting it run around the edges.
Add a pinch of sea salt to the top of the turtles if desired.
Allow Turtles to firm up at room temp or in the fridge or freezer before serving.
HOW TO STORE TURTLE CANDY
If you think you will eat the pecan turtles within the next two weeks or so, the best way to store it is at room temperature in an air-tight container. Use a self-sealing bag or plastic container and put it in a cool, dark place. Can be stored in the freezer or the fridge for a longer storage time.
CANDY MAKING SUPPLIES
- Candy thermometer
- Pastry brush
- Wooden spoon
- Large bowl
- 9 x 13 Dish
- Hot Pads
- Parchment Paper
HOMEMADE CANDY RECIPES
- 6 Minute Caramels
- Homemade Toffee
- Old Fashioned Divinity
- Pretzel Rolos
- Saltine Cracker Toffee
- Chocolate Dream Balls
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Bites
I created some FREE Printable Labels if you want to make some and give them as a gift this Holiday Season. To access the Homemade Caramels Printable Label, simply click on the link below.
*As always, these printable labels are for your personal use only. Please do not repost them or sell them on your sites or craft fairs, etc. This is how I am able to continue to share free content with you.
Did you like this recipe? I would love for you to pin it and share it with your friends! Thanks! xo
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.